Thursday, July 22, 2010

Insomnia

The Huffington Post--whose living section I often find suspect, filled as it is with pretty quack-y medical articles (let me just say, I think Suzanne Somers' approach to cancer prevention is a giant duck)--has a GOOD article today on cancer and insomnia.

When I was going through chemo, my acupuncturist would ask me, at every appointment, how I was sleeping. Disrupted sleep is a common correlate of chemo, at least in part due to hormonal disruptions mimicking menopause (or, inducing menopause in many cases).

Further, I've found that my sleep post-cancer-treatment is much less reliable than it was before. I have times when it's hard to fall asleep or hard to stay asleep. The study described in the article seems like a valuable step in helping deal with this problem.

No comments: